Monday, May 13, 2019

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

I don't normally do much with true crime.  I have to live in the world everyday, so watching something that deals with the darkest parts of the real world isn't really a big sell for me.  The most exposure I've had to that kind of stuff is through Unsolved Mysteries back in the day.  But Zack Efron's Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile was pretty damn good.  I was working on another new podcast... I know... I have developed too many of these things.  I have more ideas than I have the time to execute them.  But, it is what it is.  Anyway, I was pulling notes together for the Doctor Strange Fancast and decided to throw it on in the background.  Well, it sucked me in.  When it got to the end, I realized I had lost and hour and half of working time on my projects.

They really drive the idea that he could've been innocent through the movie.  I like that it pointed out something else I find weird; young women being obsessed with true crime and serial killers.  Especially those that prey on young women.  They toy with that a bit in some of the court room scenes and it seems like a valid enough question.  I've never understood why women seem to be more attracted to the true crime stories than men, and they don't answer it in the movie because I'm not sure most people fascinated with it really understand it themselves.  I guess, to a degree, it's that pleasant kind of fear we get when watching horror movies or going to a haunted house.  It's fear in the safety of their homes.  That's about the best I can come up with.

That said, the movie was great, and surprisingly not grotesque at all.  With the subject matter, I expected it to be pretty graphic at times, but it turned out not to be at all.  They focused on the character story instead of the gore, which is what made it so good.  So, if you're into true crime or court room dramas, it's definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment