Wednesday, June 12, 2019

'Smart' Phone Burn Out

There's an interesting trend starting to unfold.  It's still in a sort of infancy and could go away fairly quick, but there's a small anti-smartphone kind of movement developing.  It's hard to remember that smart phones are barely a decade old invention that changed our world, for better or worse.  But, there are people now moving to get rid of their cell phone and move to these 'non-smart' or anti-smartphones.  Like, check this guy out:



The Punkt Minimalist Phone.  Here's the pitch:

"Simplify the way you communicate with the Punkt MP01 Minimalist Mobile Phone. This gadget comes with all the essentials you need from a mobile phone and nothing more. Free of app icons, special effects or even the internet, the Punkt MP01 is easy on the eyes and the mind. The simple and straightforward design also helps you put your phone away when you’re done with your call. It also offers crystal-clear audio so you can take calls wherever you are. Featuring a glass-fiber reinforced body and Gorilla Glass screen, the Punkt MP01 is made to last. Additionally, the Punkt MP01 doesn’t need to be charged as often as a smartphone. In fact, it offers around four hours of talk time or 20 days standby on a single charge. The minimalist mobile phone comes in Black, White or Brown."

 Fair enough.  I'm not sure that's $300 worth, but... you know, ok.  I mean, in concept, I like the idea.  I feel like I've been sucked into a black hold of novelty with my cell phone.  I mean, it's just an amazing device.  But, could I go back?  I mean, yeah.  Probably.  But... would I want to?  Not having the closest thing our world has made to a magic wand or a sonic screw driver is... I don't know.  Silly.  I guess. 

To me, I think it's just a fad.  I mean, people are spending good money to continue to have a cell phone plan and none of the perks.  What I've wanted to do, back when I had my first Palm Pre, was have the perks, with none of the cost.  The reverse of what this thing is offering, basically.  But, at that time, the world wasn't ready for that.  But now, well, we have free wifi everywhere. 

Instead of going for the look of being a rebel with my anti-smart phone, or dumb phone, or whatever catch phrase they want to come up with, I want to just... not have a phone contract.  There's so much software out there you can use to have a functioning smart phone all the time with no contract number, it's ridiculous.

Facebook, Google, Skype... all have chats available for calls.  Free.  Navigation?  Download the maps on Google before you leave or use full free Navigation apps like Navmii.  Ok, yeah, you probably won't be able to play Pokemon Go very easily or stream.... whatever it is you want to stream while camping or whatever... but, you can use any old handset for those right now and just not have a contract.  If you need a phone number, get one from Skype for $2.99.  It's super easy, barely an inconvenience. 

I don't know.  It just seems like a silly thing.  It's like saying we need to get rid of the internet, because it made the world better.  I mean, you do you.  If you're thing is getting a blatantly non-smart phone so people will ask you about them, so you can go on a pre-generated diatribe about smart phones and how much better your life is now without it, by all means.  It's cute and all, but c'mon... you're not actually fooling anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment